Hernia means that an organ or tissue in the human body leaves its normal anatomical position and enters another part through a congenital or acquired weak point, defect or hole. The mesh was invented to treat hernia.
In recent years, with the rapid development of materials science, various hernia repair materials have been widely used in clinical practice, which has made a fundamental change in the treatment of hernia. At present, according to the materials that have been widely used in hernia repair in the world, meshes can be divided into two categories: non-absorbable mesh, such as polypropylene and polyester, and composite mesh.
Polyester mesh was invented in 1939 and it is the first widely used synthetic material mesh. They are still used by some surgeons today as it is very cheap and easy to be obtained. However, because polyester yarn is in a fibrous structure, it is not as good as monofilament polypropylene mesh in terms of resistance to infection. The inflammation and foreign body reaction of polyester materials are most serious among all the types of materials for mesh.
Polypropylene Mesh is woven from polypropylene fibers and has a single-layer mesh structure. Polypropylene is the preferred repair material for abdominal wall defects at present. The advantages are as below.
- Softer, more resistant to bending and folding
- It can be tailored to the required size
- It has a more obvious effect on stimulating fibrous tissue proliferation, and the mesh aperture is larger, which is more conducive to the growth of fibrous tissue and is easily penetrated by connective tissue
- The foreign body reaction is mild, the patient has no obvious foreign body and discomfort, and has a very low recurrence rate and complication rate.
- More resistant to infection, even in purulent infected wounds, granulation tissue can still proliferate in the mesh of the mesh, without causing mesh corrosion or sinus formation
- Higher tensile strength
- Unaffected by water and most chemicals
- High temperature resistance, can be boiled and sterilized
- Relatively cheap
Polypropylene mesh is also what we most recommend. 3 types of Polypropylene, heavy(80g/㎡）, regular (60g/㎡）and light （40g/㎡）in weight with different dimensions can be provided. The most popular dimensions are 8×15（cm），10×15（cm）， 15×15（cm）, 15×20（cm).
Expanded Polytetrafluoroethylene mesh is more soft than polyester and polypropylene meshes.It is not easy to form adhesions when in contact with abdominal organs, and the inflammatory reaction caused is also the lightest.
Composite mesh is the mesh with 2 or more types of materials. It has a better performance after absorbing the advantages of different materials. For example,
Polypropylene mesh combined with E -PTFE material or Polypropylene mesh combined with absorbable material.